December 9, 2011

Atheists Are Not Ruining Christmas

So, let me tell you my friends, straight from the horse's mouth (did I just call myself a horse?): I am an atheist,and I am not trying to ruin your Christmas. My computer didn't even burst into flames when I wrote that.

On Facebook and Twitter lately, the anti-atheist sentiment has been making the rounds. I know you've seen them- rants about how people are trying to take the Christ out of CHRISTmas. Complaints about how stores can't say "Merry Christmas" anymore. An urge to take a stand against the godless heathens who are ruining the season.

Not Blessed Mama is here to tell you that Atheists Don't Hate Christmas. You can have Christ all you want. I would never presume to tell you otherwise. I don't give a crap if a store says Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Happy Hanukkah or Happy Kwanzaa. It makes no difference to me. AT ALL. I would also never be so rude as to post a status complaining about your religious preferences, but that's a whole different story.

As a matter of fact, I love the Christmas season. I love trees and lights and cookies and presents and yummy food and making my loved ones happy.  And no, I don't participate in the religious side of Christmas- but that is no one's business but mine. Just like anyone else's choice to celebrate Christ is their business.

I know I am always imploring you to think about the children (the children! think of the children!) but this season I have a different request: Won't anyone think of the atheists? Leave atheists alone this Christmas. I promise I'll do the same for you.

4 comments:

  1. I am a Christian and I too dont care if people say Happy Holidays, Happy Hanukkah, Merry Whatever. Whatever people choose to call it or how they choose the celebrate or not, does not take away what Christmas means to me. And I would never want to force someone to say or celebrate something they dont believe in. Why can't people focus their energy on people kind and thoughtful towards others and find the similarities between us all instead of harping on the differences? Merry Happy Christmas Holiday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mean to tell me, you aren't THE reason my season has sucked ass?!?!? Oh wait. no. you're right. It's the ECONOMY F'in' this one up for me! That's right. Sorry to confuse you with a financial falling. LOL *ahem*

    This "Christian" loves her Atheist friends. They are my sisters in crime. Or would be if I could afford the theif uniform. (((hugs))) Great post. ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christians are ruining Christmas and I for one am not happy about it.

    I don't even know that means. I was just trying to be controversial.

    I hate political correctness and therefore I hope "Merry Christmas" lives forever and "happy holidays" can suck it. The most offensive elitist people I know are "politically correct". It just means they judge you quietly and with more decorum than say, me, who judges people openly, particularly if they're assholes, or judgmental Christians. Politically correct people have just learned the art of not saying the elitist shit they're thinking.

    Jesus was a radical and a revolutionary and I find his teachings fascinating, though I don't know about that whole savior of the world thing.

    I do dig Jesus, though. As a teacher. He said crazy cool shit that has been unfortunately distorted to nonsense by most religions, but whatever.

    This was a good post and I love you.

    ReplyDelete

If you're happy and you know it, leave a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails